Monday 29 December 2014

Bellows Piping in Newcastleton

Bellows Piping at Newcastleton Folk Club

A post from piper Kevin Tilbury

(see Kevin's blog at http://ethnopiper.blogspot.com/)


Newcastleton Folk Club Night, 23rd December 2014

It is only the 2nd time I have attended the Newcastleton Folk Club, but the piping there is increasing each time, last Tuesday evening there was Irish bellows-blown pipes and 2 sets of Scottish Small pipes. I feel it is important to include the titles of the tunes as we do not often record what we play and this can be of interest to future researchers.

Each person played or sang in turn, when it was my turn I played “Frisky” and later I played a Minuet, both pieces were from the Peacock manuscript, which is a manuscript written especially for the Northumbrian small pipes, dated 1800.


As my time came around again I did a duet with David (who was also playing bellows small pipes) the tune was called “Noble Squire Dacre” with 6 variations and this was followed by the Scottish version of “Buy Broom Besoms” from the manuscript “O’er the Hills and Far Away”, a compilation of tunes from the Scottish Borders. Later I played “Green Bracken” a melody with 3 parts, and later again I played “Kelso Lasses” next to “The Wedding O’Blyth” both tunes are from the “O’er the Hills and Far Away” manuscript.

David played pipes and sang which is something I love to hear. The labouring man' was the pipe song, and he also played Mr. Prestons hornpipe. the Irish piper, Mike, played some beautiful Airs and reels, some I knew but I do not know the titles.

Kevin


NOTE: Eliza will note down titles so that she can post them in future from the next club night on Tuesday 27th January 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment